Monday, March 14, 2011

Journal #18

The first time I read The Stranger, I felt like Meursault was an interesting character to follow. I didn't care that he held different values/beliefs. He was a type of person that I had never been in contact with. After reading The Stranger for a second time, I still believe that the story has significant literary value. I don't exactly know why high school students read this novel over other philosophical novels, but I believe that Camus does a good job expressing existential concepts. Without The Stranger, I don't think existentialism could have been explained as well even through the original philosopher's writings. However, after reading it twice, I would like to say that I understand how Camus doesn't express the story from a true existentialist's viewpoint.What makes this novel unique is how Camus creates a protagonist that you just can't root for. Meursault kills the Arab without remorse, and acts cold-hearted/indifferent towards basically everyone yet the reader is still able to relate and ultimately agree with Meursault's outlook on life. Camus' The Stranger should be considered a great piece of literature because of how well it instigates thought from its reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment