Thursday, March 3, 2011

Journal #12

Part one: According to your work today in class, which translator would you argue has the most literary value and why? What elements of the text are you valuing by the decision you made? 

I believe that it is reasonable to defend that Ward's translation retains the most literary value because I believe that Gilbert's translation is just too bogged down with descriptions. Based the classroom activity, Gilbert's translation does not seem to encompass the message that Camus was trying to send. The element in the text that I value based on my decision is the characterization of Meursault. By having more "fluffy" language in Gilbert's translation, the reader is not able to see the world through Meursault's eyes like I believe Camus wants us to. Camus MIGHT HAVE wanted the reader to see the world a lot more descriptively, but from what I have read, this is not the case. I believe that The Stranger is a very concise novel, and Ward captures this goal the best.

Part two: According to the above meanings for the work "e'tranger", what title would you assign the English translation of the text and why. Go as far as to cite specific examples from the book that support your decision. 


I believe that "The Stranger" is a good translation of the text for a plethora of reasons. First, I think that both the translators put a lot of thought into translating the novel into English and although they differ in some situations, the agree upon "The Stranger." These translators are more qualified than I am to question their work, but I will anyway (to an extent). I actually agree with the translated title, but I also have come up with an alternative. I believe that "The Outsider" would work as a title to the story just as well, but I believe that "The Stranger" encompasses a stronger connotation with its readers while subsuming the effects of "The Outsider." I believe both of these names work because in the story Meursault shares that "[he] had the ridiculous feeling that they were there to judge [him]" while he is at his mother's funeral (Camus 10). He also shares that "[he] could feel how much all these people hated [him]" at the trial (Camus 90). Both of these examples show how he feels isolated compared to everyone else, like an outsider. However, a stranger also has no connection to a group of people/things, which also mean that the word "stranger" should mean outsider. The connotation with the word "stranger" is one of difference and uniqueness, something that "outsider" does not provide. This creates a perception where the reader goes into the story expecting something weird. However, I don't think that the title should have great significance because you should never judge a book by its cover.

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't Ward admit that he only choose 'The Stranger" because that's what Gilbert did and he wanted to make the public recognize the book?

    ReplyDelete